New projects notification

General topics (e.g. suggestions) about the forum and website. No bug reports or feature requests, please use the seperate forum for those instead.

New projects notification

Postby tronicgr » Tue 17. Apr 2012, 21:52

Hello,

Is there a way to make the new projects appear on the news bulletin, like normal forum posts does? I just had a look on the projects and there are so many I missed these days...! :shock:

Thanos
tronicgr

Re: New projects notification

Postby warandpeace » Thu 19. Apr 2012, 13:28

No, at the moment it is not possible to appear new projects on the news. Because it is a mod, it is not a native part of the forum. We are trying to built
a kind of project-gallery. But it is not easy.
I am sorry.
warandpeace

Postby tronicgr » Thu 19. Apr 2012, 15:22

Hi,

No worries. Maybe thread in the forum then that users can write a few words about their new project and a link to it? ;)

Thanos
tronicgr

Postby berksglh » Mon 7. May 2012, 14:54

On the project page there are links for recent and popular projects. Can we have a link to "all" project entries?

I deleted 3 of my entries and compiled them into my origonal entry, and only the newer deleted projects show up. Unless you click on someones user profile, you cant get to their older projects, or see their new updates.
berksglh
X-Sim Supporter

Postby tronicgr » Mon 7. May 2012, 15:21

Hmm...

I agree! Its a mess. You can't get a list of what projects are posted there or sort them.

I would suggest the creation of a new topic in the forum that is called something like "User Projects Discussion" or something that anyone that makes a project can post a short description or/and a video of the project and provide a link to the actual project. This way the forum can be more active and the projects will not go unseen.

Thanos
tronicgr

Postby floriske » Mon 7. May 2012, 15:42

We are currently discussing what to do with the projects module, one way or another we want to try and solve this as soon as possible.
I am no longer an admin/active moderator at http://www.x-sim.de. Please contact one of the other admins or moderators if you have any questions. Thank you!

My sim-project: Floriske.nl's 2DOF Playseat GT Wiper motor Project (sold)
floriske

Postby sirnoname » Wed 9. May 2012, 21:31

The problem of the old page was a missing gallery and all project messed in one forum thread.
So what we need is either a blog system and a better gallery or a gallery for forum threads like the video gallery ourtube.
If a answer is correct or did help you for a solution, please use the solve button.
sirnoname
Site Admin

Postby floriske » Thu 10. May 2012, 09:59

There is nothing wrong with a single forum thread for all "running projects/work in progress".
This gives people a good and quick oversight of currently running builds and builds that never get finished just slowly drop down the forum.
Splitting everything in categories simply makes you loose overview (sounds weird, but this is true).

For wip's imho the best solution!

Inside the "motion simulator projects in progress" board we could use tags (a lot of casemod forums do this as well)

Just some samples:
[DC-2] = 2DOF DC motor sim
[AC-3] = 3DOF AC motor sim
[PN-6] = 6DOF Pneumatic sim
[HD-6] = 6DOF Hydraulic sim

e.g. my topic could be named:

"[DC-2] Floriske.nl's 2DOF Playseat GT Wiper motor Project"

For finished projects a single forum thread isn't suitable indeed, but for that (for now) we could make another forum thread containing only completely finished projects (for which moderator approval is needed) or some sort of gallery mod indeed (but that's thinking a step too far ahead for now I think).

The current blog mod just isn't suitable and would have to be completely re-written but like I said, that's a step to far ahead.
I am no longer an admin/active moderator at http://www.x-sim.de. Please contact one of the other admins or moderators if you have any questions. Thank you!

floriske

AW: New projects notification

Postby sirnoname » Thu 10. May 2012, 18:17

Hey,

This step has prio 1, because it is requested and a importand part of this forum.
Perhaps we go back to the forum projects but only if we can double the ourtube gallery for project relinking.
Without a gallery it is a nogo.

Regards
SirNoName
If a answer is correct or did help you for a solution, please use the solve button.
sirnoname
Site Admin

Postby floriske » Thu 10. May 2012, 20:01

That's your call of course, but beware that this might take time which (referring to your mentioned time span) we might not have.

Unfortunately I can't help you with phpbb modifications other than theming, hope you can find someone who can help you out on short notice.

My personal opinion: start simple so people are satisfied and there is a solid forum structure to work with (currently for a lot of things there is simply no thread on this board) before wanting to include all kind of stuff of which you don't even know if it's possible. A solid base simplifies evolution, a messed up base only mess things up more.

But once again, it's your call! And I'm very willing to help you out wherever I can!

As soon as the board is divided and modified to your and the users likings we can start to integrate it to the new design, sooner than that I can't help you further than I already did.

floriske

Return to Forum & Website