motor Jitter and heat.

Topics and questions about wipers, winches etc.

motor Jitter and heat.

Postby 7733star » Tue 5. Sep 2017, 05:22

I will try to explain this the best I can sorry ahead of time for leaving anything out.

I have built the 2dof using ardunio uno. I am using the sabertooth 2x60 connected to 2 worm drive motors by motion dynamics powered by a car battery. Everything is working fine but the motors have a constant jittering sound and tend to get very hot after a short time of use. I have been trying to solve this problem but I can not get it worked out. I have tried caps across the motor leads but that does not seen to do anything, I am using hall effect pots with the level shift and amplify circuit suggested by sirnoname. I have also tried it with standard pots without the amplify circuit and it does the same thing.

Thanks for any help.
7733star

Re: motor Jitter and heat.

Postby 7733star » Tue 5. Sep 2017, 18:51

I have done some further research and a more accurate description is when the motor attempts to hold a position it has this jittering sound from the motor. I was doing some searching and I found I think what might be the answer. It seems that the Arduinos PWM signal is at the root of the problem. The suggestion is to increase the signal up to 20mkhz. Not sure if this is the answer but I will post my results for anyone who might care.
7733star

Postby sirnoname » Wed 6. Sep 2017, 08:03

Use coils like out of the RC car section. Three per motor.
If a answer is correct or did help you for a solution, please use the solve button.
sirnoname
Site Admin

Postby 7733star » Thu 7. Sep 2017, 06:00

Thanks for the help sirnoname and for the whole project. I have tried 0.1uf caps but that does not seem to do anything. what I have noticed is when I increase the PWM setting in the pid settings screen the noise gets worse. I think it is tied to the PWM signal in some way. I found some info on another webpage that talks about increasing the PWM signal to solve this issue. I will keep trying to fiqure this out. Thanks again.
7733star

Return to Motors