6DOF - Grounded screen or on motion platform...

Here you can show and share your design ideas and ask questions about them

6DOF - Grounded screen or on motion platform...

Postby Arno » Tue 24. Jun 2014, 09:23

I am building a 6DOF simulator, and considering the options regarding the screen.
I am wondering if it is important that the screen be a part of the seat platform, and therefore moving with the seat, or if the screen can be fixed on the ground, independent from the simulator itself.

Reason I ask is because i see many simulators that have 2 or 3 LCD screens attached to the motion platform, and it seems to be the most commonly use setup.
But in real life, even if the car starts drifting for example, the track is not moving.
The car, which was parallel to the main axis of the track is now at an angle, and naturally, one would turn their heads slightly to keep focusing on the track, and not the sides...
Having a fixed screen, which does not move, seems that it would reproduce that feeling better.

Now, since we are using special effects to trick our brains into thinking that we are driving a real car, I do not know if this an important part of the special effects to have the screens mounted on the motion platform.

I would like to build a 3m diameter curved screen that will cover most of the 180 degree of vision when looking straight.
Using 2 to 3 projectors with a special blending software would give a good uninterrupted view, and I would prefer that to having multiple large LDC screens hanging on the motion platform. Furthermore, I have to imagine that having the LCD screens consistently being subject to vibrations is probably not good for their longevity.

Do you have any info on this?
Some Google searches did not bring any useful info.

Thank you.
Arno
Arno

Re: 6DOF - Grounded screen or on motion platform...

Postby vicpopo » Tue 24. Jun 2014, 20:21

Hi Arno ,
On Racingfr french forum there is a special section for cockpit buiding.There are static cockpits and the subject videoprojection is well explained with good topics and good ideas .
Below a link and you can watch in the section other topics.And for the language it will be easy for you :lol:

http://www.racingfr.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=47384
vicpopo

Postby Arno » Wed 25. Jun 2014, 11:16

Awesome!
Thank you for the link, i will go check this out.
It would be very nice to be able to keep the screen logistics separated from the motion platform, especially with multiple projectors that get blended with each other. :D

Arno
Arno

Postby Arno » Fri 27. Jun 2014, 08:39

So, I checked the forum referenced above.
While there was a lot of great information, I still was not able to find out if the screens need to be moving with the motion platform, or if it is OK to have them mounted on the ground, static...
Once again, It would be easier to have the screen independent from the motion platform I think.
Less vibrations on the projectors, easier to have a larger screen that does not have to move, a 180 degree 3m diameter screen for example.

But I do not know if having the screen moving with the motion platform is critical to tricking the brain into thinking that this is a real motion effect.
Does anybody has good reference information for this?

Thank you.
Arno
Arno

Postby tronicgr » Fri 27. Jun 2014, 19:47

Hi Arno,

I can try explain shortly...

It all depends on the screen size and the type of simulator you are going to be using.
Grounded screen is usually used in theaters where the screen size covers almost all your direct and peripheral vision. And still they "rotate" the view a little bit to follow the rotation of the seats so the "passengers" wont start feeling motion sickness (like when you are on a ship that wombles).

The issue doing the same with car simulator for example is that the horizon will not rotate to follow the simulator base rotation (roll motion). One simulator that this may not be a problem would be a Superbike simulator where you actually rotate the view (given that you hide the steering handle and instruments from view).

Some clues why this is happening even for stationery video games is can be read here:
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/dec/19/video-games-makes-me-sick

All the professional serious motion simulators are using screens that are attached on the platform and use enclosed cockpits to hide external references (the room around the simulator).

Thanks
Thanos
tronicgr

Postby Arno » Sat 28. Jun 2014, 09:32

Thanos,

Thank you for the article, it was very informative.
I usually do not experience motion sickness, so not really an issue for me.
I did not realize what generated that feeling however, and it is interesting to know that the body thinks that you are being poisoned. :)

I am more interested in the realism feeling, and I think that you answered that one.
Yes, I want to be completely immersed into the simulator (6DOF racing), and was hoping to do so by having a 3m diameter curved screen to 180 degrees, with 2 or 3 projectors.
It seems however that for the best effects, I would be better with having the screen installed on the motion platform, so I will work on that.

It will be difficult however to have projectors in this situation, I anticipate that the vibrations of the simulator would destroy the projectors in short order, and would likely require them to be refocused/reblended to each other every 10 minutes of play. :D

Until we have affordable, curvable screens, my quest is on..

Arno
Arno

Postby telfel » Sat 28. Jun 2014, 16:21

hi

have you seen castAR, http://technicalillusions.com/

I backed them on kickstarter, I was thinking about using a 180" retro reflective wall mounted screen, with the tracking led's mounted on the sim platform.

as I understand it, you can also add smaller reflective screens to the platform for instruments etc.

regards Terry
telfel

Postby Arno » Sun 29. Jun 2014, 16:56

Hello Terry,

Thank you for this very informative link, I was not aware of this product.
It looks certainly very promising.
I am not sure however if this will be compatible with all the games out there, I suppose it could be at term.

The initial feedback from other review I read online seem very positive.
I hope that the resolution can be increased to full HD in a later version.
It seems that for our needs, all we would need is to create a semi spherical structure onto which we would stretch their material.
This would be very simple, and light.
I am not sure however if the motion of our simulators would interfere with the visual effects...

Quite interesting to see where we are headed. :D

Arno
Arno

Return to Motion simulator designs