Carl's platform Reloaded

Here you can show and share your design ideas and ask questions about them

Re: Carl's upgraded SCN6 2dof motion sim

Postby Carl » Sat 12. Apr 2014, 21:07

I used an 18 core YY 0.75mm2 multicore cable between the drive enclosure and PSU and 4x 3 pin xlr male plugs.2826
I used a 3x core YY 1.5mm2 for the ac mains side
First job for my psu was to terminate the multicore, install the 4 fuse carriers, the e-stop relay, here I also made my connections for integrating the zener diodes and resistors into the circuit. I repositioned the 3a and 10a thermal trips to the side too.
I fitted a switch on the ac side with illumination and also a switch on the dc side. I read somewhere about spikes on startup so thought I'd add this switch for added safety. Buried inside this case is a 7.5a 24v switchmode PSU.
Carl
X-Sim Supporter

Re: Carl's upgraded SCN6 2dof motion sim

Postby Carl » Sun 13. Apr 2014, 00:05

Here is my wiring schematic
Carl
X-Sim Supporter

Re: Carl's platform Reloaded

Postby Carl » Wed 16. Apr 2014, 22:42

Thinking back to when I was a child, I remember going to my local Arcade every week for almost a year and spending all my pocket money on a game called "Space Harrier". "Space Harrier" was a simple motion sim game with a 2 dof platform underneath which was unheard of back then and was the absolute state of the art. Groundbreaking for the time but absolutely mind blowing for an 11 yo boy. If you would have told me then that in 30 years time I would have my own motion sim in my front room I'd have thought you were mad... If you told me I could build it myself I just plain would not have believed it. Anything is possible if your interested, have the time, some good advice and at the end of the day enjoy the journey... Thank you very much to all the people on this website who contribute and keep it going... I'm living the dream every day!!!
Carl
X-Sim Supporter

Postby prodigy » Wed 16. Apr 2014, 23:57

Carl wrote:If you would have told me then that in 30 years time I would have my own motion sim in my front room I'd have thought you were mad... If you told me I could build it myself I just plain would not have believed it.

I know the feeling!
It's just great. I always wanted something like that and always thought of it as something impossible and something very expensive, something that only specialized companies are bulding. I never think about DIY solutions, didn't even thought that one day I could build myself an simulator, an childhood dream. And now when you look at it, it wasn't that hard at all, only thing needed is power of will :)
prodigy
X-Sim Supporter

Postby Carl » Fri 18. Apr 2014, 18:38

prodigy wrote:I know the feeling!
It's just great. I always wanted something like that and always thought of it as something impossible and something very expensive, something that only specialized companies are bulding. I never think about DIY solutions, didn't even thought that one day I could build myself an simulator, an childhood dream. And now when you look at it, it wasn't that hard at all, only thing needed is power of will :)

I totally agree, "where there's a will... there's always a way".
Carl
X-Sim Supporter

Postby Carl » Fri 18. Apr 2014, 19:02

Here are a couple of screenshots of my converter setup just for information.
Carl
X-Sim Supporter

Previous

Return to Motion simulator designs