Well after a lot of soul searching and several months trying to squeeze more than was available from 2x pololu 12v12s and wiper motors I decided the time was right to upgrade my pololu 12v12 wiper motors with SCN6's. As everybody knows these are very pricey indeed so I had to sell off some kit to buy some new kit. The 30 watt co2 laser cutter went on ebay and the SCN6's came via Canada from Japan. A very good trade. Living the dream!!!Although my first incarnation was great fun for my 8 yo boy it definitely lacked the grunt and range to keep me happy.
I have built my platform to date mainly from bits of scrap salvaged from work
The parts I have been forced to purchase so far are as follows:
Fanatec GT3 wheel - £70 off ebay
Fanatec Clubsport pedals - £150 off ebay
Racing seat with rails (fully adjustable) - £50 off ebay
MGB Drive shaft / universal joint - £20 off ebay
7.5a 24v PSU - £17 off ebay
2x SCN6 40 150's - $1,841.72 USD(£1,108.64) (+£150 import duty) from Mirai
2x 14x1.5 teflon lined rod ends - £20 from Mcgill motorsports
4x 14mm/12mm reducing misalignment bushes - £10 from Mcgill motorsports
2x USB-RS485 converters - £30 off ebay
2x USB 3m extension leads - £10 off ebay
2x 2.2k resistors and 2x 27v zener diodes - £1 MaplinsTotal parts spend £1,636
Parts and materials I have rescued and re-cycled from the skip at work
An awful lot of 6mm thick alloy chequer plate (3x 1.6mx1.0m sheets)
2x part used articulated pneumatic cylinder mounts
The tools I have to hand and used to get me this far were as follows:
Jig saw x2 (burned my first one out cutting all the alloy chequer plate up)
30w co2 laser cutter (now gone)
Time to build
Although I have spread the build almost over a year I estimate the actual hours spent working on this to be in the region of 80-100 hours.
As my platform is mainly aluminium, metal and stainless steel I also ended up buying an awful lot of nuts, bolts and drill bits during the build and I am now on first name terms with my local hardware store owner... in fact over the last 2 months I am probably his best customer.
My design has evolved as it came together but the basic premise was to try and build a platform somewhat similar to Floriske's playseat. To that end game I don't think mine is too far away + I love it.
I could have tried to make it straight off the bat from CAD designs (I have a lot of experience working with AUTOCAD, Mechanical Desktop and Autodesk Inventor) but to be honest I think the trial and error route is a much more enjoyable experience. I had several difficulties to overcome during the build with weight being the primary obstacle. To get around this I used a couple of gas struts underneath to balance off the weight of the front end of the upper platform. It is very well balanced at the moment with no load experienced at the motors when I am sat in the seat. I got quite nervous about the pivot point from my original design and shifted it back 150mm to directly under the seat when fitting the SCN6's. I have posted a cad drawing to show the geometry and dimensions of my design.
I tried to follow the instructions on wiring the SCN6's to the letter but also added some little touches of my own. I used some spare xlr chassis sockets and plugs to create an interrupt / isolation point between PSU and drives for when not in use which I had left over from a previous project. I mounted these onto an old psu case and also hid the usb rs485 converters. I also added an e-stop relay instead of wiring direct to the ilk pin. I have posted a full wiring diagram and show the basics in my scribbled schematic drawing. CAD files and high res photos of anything pertaining to my platform can be supplied if you PM me.
Here are some pics and vids of the build as it came together and also of course as it is now.