Carl's platform Reloaded

Here you can show and share your design ideas and ask questions about them

Carl's platform Reloaded

Postby Carl » Sat 20. Oct 2012, 01:23

Well after quite a bit of reading on here I've started my own platform motion sim rig.

I have decided to try and emulate Floriske's GT playseat. I will build using the same general layout for base and platform but intend to make a few slight mods. I will directly gear the feedback via some sort of clutch mech. I'm gonna use gas struts half loaded at a centralised platform rest position, secured centrally at the bottom platform toward the outer edge, and fixed at the other end to the top board toward front again on the outer edge. This is aimed at only giving maximum resistance when both motors are pulling in the same direction. I will still use springs to give some damping from the side but these are mainly as a max travel braking aid for the servos. I also have a lot of free aluminium checker plate so will use this as the main body material.

I picked up a pair of wiper motors (Vauxhall Corsa) and a pair of pololu 12v12 drives with feedback pots. I already had the seat which is a fully reclineable bucket seat with floor rails... very tight n comfy. I have lots of PSUs but will probably buy a couple of new. Im ripping open and out an old ATX PSU to house my Drivecards which have almost identical heat sinks to floriske. I cannot believe we had exactly the same heatsink lying about... they looked very similar anyways. I am going to leave the fan in to cool the drive cards amd fit some chassis plugs, leds and switches.

Last edited by Carl on Fri 18. Apr 2014, 18:27, edited 4 times in total.
Carl
X-Sim Supporter

Re: Carl's 2DOF Wiper motor 12v12 platform

Postby Carl » Sun 21. Oct 2012, 15:40

Hi Dave,
thanks mate. Good advice... I read about that issue earlier. Glad I did as I really dont wanna fry my PC + I am going to line my platform completely in alloy chequer plate... When I took the head off my motors there were 3 connections. I played around till I found the high and slow speed brushes. I was really lucky cos I found that the slow speed brush connection was the one bonded to earth... result! It wasnt too tricky to isolate after snipping a few wires off the pcb including the connection to the brush itself. Gonna build up my drive cooling enclosure next.
Last edited by Carl on Tue 27. Aug 2013, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
Carl
X-Sim Supporter

Postby Carl » Sun 28. Oct 2012, 22:01

Yep thanks very much Bob. I am an Electrical Engineer by trade (20 + years of mucking about with servos, steppers, inverters and plc's etc) so know my way around the electrical side of things quite well, however all advice is very much welcome. Im sure I will need it soon enough.
Carl
X-Sim Supporter

Postby Carl » Mon 21. Jan 2013, 21:55

Well the build came to a bit of a halt with the costly realisation I needed new pedals and a wheel. After lots of deliberation I finally decided on Fanatec instead of Logitech mainly because of the clubsport pedals. Having now raced em for a couple of days I must say these things are fantastic, they feel ultra realistic, are incredibly easy to set up and also help improve your driving... they really are the dogs! I finally opted for the Fanatec GT3 Porsche wheel mainly because of the alcantara wheel covering and number of buttons not to mention the on-the-fly settings adjustment. This again is a fantastic piece of kit. The ffb is nice and the adjust-ability independent of the game is sweet as. I am hoping to start building and assembling my platform this weekend and will post pics as it goes together. Whats the consensus with regard my choice of wheel and pedals?
Carl
X-Sim Supporter

Postby Carl » Sat 26. Jan 2013, 02:32

I shopped around a bit for a good deal (ebay and gum tree). I picked up the wheel for £70 which was nearly a year old but in perfect condition and the pedals for £150 but they are only 3 months old so still pristine... £220 all in... a bit pricey I know but they are pure quality. I've had a Thrustmaster GT wheel and pedals for the last 2 or 3 years which was absolutely shot to pieces.. no FFF and more wobble than a drunken uncle at a wedding so truth be told anything would have been an improvement. I will post pictures of my top deck tomorrow with everything mounted. I cocked up the driving position tonight. The wheel is about 2" away from the perfect driving position and needs lowering so I'll do that first. The wife had her first moan tonight saying she was mad to let me build this in the lounge... hehehe!
Carl
X-Sim Supporter

Postby Carl » Sat 26. Jan 2013, 21:49

album_id=51&image_id=1093&sk=t&sd=d&st=0[/album]
This is my preliminary top platform. I just needed to try out a few different driving position. The steering column is fully adjustable and with the seat being on rails its quite flexible. My 7 year old was able to jump in with the aid of a cushion. Quite happy with the layout but need to stiffen the underside rexroth frame I made.
Attachments
Last edited by Carl on Sat 26. Jan 2013, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.
Carl
X-Sim Supporter

Postby Carl » Sat 26. Jan 2013, 21:55

As you can see I spaced the back support on the pedals to change the angle and make it steeper. I will eventually invert but this angle works for now whilst I sort everything else. I may invert the pedals later when I have some time.
Last edited by Carl on Tue 27. Aug 2013, 21:03, edited 2 times in total.
Carl
X-Sim Supporter

Postby Carl » Sat 26. Jan 2013, 21:56

I spaced the pedals too as I'm a bit clumsy and kept hitting the clutch by accident.
Carl
X-Sim Supporter

Postby Carl » Sun 3. Feb 2013, 21:48

[album][/album]1107
I butchered an old ATX psu to use as a polulu cooler and general jb.
Carl
X-Sim Supporter

Postby Carl » Sun 3. Feb 2013, 21:54

I cut out a polyprop support and mounted my 12v12's with heat sinks in-line with fan air flow, should get rid of the heat no problem. Have a few more posts to fit, some switching and some lights before mounting. Maplins again tomorrow... what joy!
Carl
X-Sim Supporter

Next

Return to Motion simulator designs