Raceflight V2

Running simulator build projects.
Please use the image gallery for your pictures, a short tutorial can be found here.
The first image in the first post will be shown in the project gallery.

Re: Raceflight V2

Postby tronicgr » Thu 26. Jul 2012, 14:38

You could try using the Pololu High-Power Motor Driver 18v25. These are great drivers and I pushed hard the one I have for over a year in tests and its still alive! I don't even use fan to cool it!!

Thanos
tronicgr

Postby Bruceaust » Thu 26. Jul 2012, 23:41

Thanks floriske and Thanos,
Yes the DIY road has its ups and downs. I had to try it to see it would work.
Thanks Thanos for the suggestion for the Pololu i will probably go for a pair of those.
Can you advise on a suitable motor (thats not too expensive) that would give more power, keeping in mind that the Pololu will only supply 25Amp Continuous.
I have seen other motors on the forum but some only seem to have the same power as wipers anyway.

Thanks
Bruceaust
X-Sim Supporter

Postby tronicgr » Thu 26. Jul 2012, 23:57

In your case I don't think you will have 25A continuous consumption, maybe peaks. The joyrider style, is more balanced than any motion platform. Even if its a little different like yours. The only thing you have to deal is peaks of currents when the motor starts moving the mass of the cockpit around, and its just peaks.

Have a look on this post to see my experience on this with actual measurements: http://www.x-sim.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=132&start=70#p1378

I can't recommend motors that I didn't test myself. Wiper motors are great motors for joyrider as they can provide more dymanic profile motion. They usually provide the correct geared speed for that.

Thanos
tronicgr

Postby Bruceaust » Fri 27. Jul 2012, 01:01

Thanks Thanos,
I can see a may have to re-think the "gearing" of the motion to reduce the loading on the wipers (if I decide to keep using the wipers).
At the moment I have reasonably quick motion, using 1.75 revolutions of the wiper motor from end point to end point. If I "geared down" to say 3 revolutions, end to end, it would give more torque to move the mass and reduce the current drawn by the wiper. From your experience is 3 revolutions end to end about right for the wipers on a joy rider - to give a good compromise between speed and acceleration of the motion?

Bruce
Bruceaust
X-Sim Supporter

Postby motiondave » Fri 27. Jul 2012, 10:55

Try these on it!
http://www.motiondynamics.com.au/worm-d ... orque.html
And the JRK will run 30 amps continuous.... ;)
motiondave

Postby tronicgr » Fri 27. Jul 2012, 13:38

The only configuration that I can see needing 30 amps continuous, would be one that the motor is holding the simulators weight all the time, by a rod for example, forcing the motor to spend more power through its windings to keep its position.

In Joyrider type platform the motor doesn't have to support the weight, just move the mass of the cockpit resulting in short peaks of current needed by the motor, certainly not continuous. I would say even 20A continuous would be enough.
tronicgr

Postby tronicgr » Fri 27. Jul 2012, 14:37

Bruceaust wrote: From your experience is 3 revolutions end to end about right for the wipers on a joy rider - to give a good compromise between speed and acceleration of the motion?

It will make the motion more dynamic, meaning room for acceleration motion of the motors instead of sharp movements that beside they draw lots of current, sometimes they even destroy the immersion feeling since joyrider style is depending on the angle position for the rider to feel the earths acceleration in place of lateral and longitude accelerations. Its more trial and error if you want my opinion, until you find a middle solution that feels good.

Thanos
tronicgr

Postby Bruceaust » Sat 28. Jul 2012, 01:04

Thanks Dave,
have found the discussion about the motors in the "motor forum". They do look they are a good next step up from the wiper motors.
The videos of the motor in operation also show the they are very smooth and quiet. I imagine there will be no difference in forward and reverse speeds as well. I will keep trying with the wipers and maybe change to these If I find I need a bit more zip!

Thanks Thanos,
I understand everything you have said in regard to the joyrider motion. My system is balanced quite well. I am trying to calculate what diameter timing pulleys I need to give the amount of movement I require. I will be purchasing the Timing Pulleys so I have to know what size to buy. I have similar range of movement to your joyrider, so I would like to keep the number of revolutions end point to end point similar to yours (as your system works so well ). Having the number of revolutions about the same as yours should make my motors work with roughly the same force available at the motor pulley output ( ie working in a similar current (Amps) range ). This would also make the time taken to travel end to end point aproximately the same as yours (as your system works so well :D ) I know this is a rough estimate (as the masses and accelerating are not the same) but I am just looking for a figure to work with. -------- So is 3 revolutions end to end point a good starting point ?

Bruce
Bruceaust
X-Sim Supporter

Postby Bruceaust » Fri 24. Aug 2012, 11:54

Well, got it all going at last!
I finished up purchasing 2 JRK's to speed the construction up a little. I will save the AMC for another project.
I have re-done the motion mechanics on both axis and now it works fantastic. I have used 16 tooth T10 pulleys and belts and made sure there was no slack in the system. I also duplicated the drive using a lateral drive shaft from the pitch motor across to the other side of the pitch frame to eliminate any twisting moments. (I had trouble with the frame flexing and causing oscillation in the feedback to the JRK, when the frame was driven from one side only) It is really tight now and the motion is very positive.
I will post some pics and videos shortly.

Now for the profile tuning1
Bruceaust
X-Sim Supporter

Postby Bruceaust » Mon 27. Aug 2012, 05:58

Here is a Video of the Sim so far. I think I have the JRK's sorted (Thanks Dave) . I have the "Max current" set at 20 amps - but the motors don't even get warm, so I am guessing the average current is way less that this. I fiited heat sinks to the JRK's and cooling fins to the wipers.

Youtube Video of a Lap around Mosport:

Last edited by BobBuilt on Mon 27. Aug 2012, 14:24, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: MOD fix to include Youtube link
Bruceaust
X-Sim Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Motion simulator Projects in progress