2DOF WiperSim+Pololu problem(solved)+traction loss

Finished projects, you can't start topics here and have to request a topic in the "administrator" section first.
Please use the image gallery for your pictures, a short tutorial can be found here.
The first image in the first post will be shown in the project gallery.

2DOF WiperSim+Pololu problem(solved)+traction loss

Postby yokoyoko » Mon 27. Aug 2012, 03:08

Hello forum,

Motiondave and Bobbuilt took me by the hand and help me in my other topic "http://www.x-sim.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=268&p=1548#p1548". Thank you very much!

Now I got all needed parts and builded a first testmodel - the geometrie was tested in catia v5 (3d simulation). It's a copy and paste of all great working sim's here in the forum "thanks everybody".

I use wipermotors of a volkswagen golf, potentiometers are connected via gearing. The motors are connected to Pololu 12v12. Power supply is Techtron SP6015 for now. So far everthing mechanically works great.
I configured the two Pololu's via configuration utility (feedback....) everything works here (- set target). Then I configured X-sim like in the tutorial here on the website. I tried both - running extractor and convertor on one or two pc via network. I just tried two forces (25, 27) for both axis (left, right) and selected "automatically set maximum" - everything like in the tutorial http://www.x-sim.de/documents/X-Sim%20Quick%20Guide.pdf.

I drive for some corners, acc and brake - then uncheck "automatically set max". When I retourn to drive nothing happens - there is no motion or motormovement. After stopping and starting the X-sim Converter there is a message "Error opening Comport...." - the message is for both Comports the Pololu's are connected to. Trying the Pololu's and Converter with another PC = the same problem. Changing Usb-Port or Cable was also without success. :roll:

Where is my mistake? Any help? If you need some screenshot or pic's of something please let me know.
I will post a tutorial, pictures and data when the sim is complete - I think end of september (if the Pololu will work ^^).

Tanks and regards Mirco
Last edited by yokoyoko on Fri 8. Feb 2013, 12:47, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Long titles where messing with the recent posts on the portal, I reduced the limit and shortened some titles
yokoyoko

Re: 2 DOF Wiper-Sim + Pololu problems

Postby motiondave » Mon 27. Aug 2012, 16:08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb5tK4oMQy8
did you set the jrks correctly in x-sim?
Refer to video

Also try PID of 2/2 0/3 1/1 in jrk utility.
motiondave

Postby yokoyoko » Tue 28. Aug 2012, 16:40

Hello and thank you very much for your answers!!!

I checked everything in configuration and I have done two things different. Perhaps this is my problem:
In the video you typed manually the Port (\\. \12 for example) in the box marked red. I selcted the Comport by the dropdown menu (see the circle) and selected "Pololu Jrk 12v12 Command Port" and then selected the Port for the Uso-commands (more down on the page).
I just now realized the sentence "For non ISA Comport (USB) or comport higher than 4 write....." ---> omg is this my stupid mistake? My Ports are 13 and 15.

What does this value mean? I used on time the setting you suggest and tried before "value=(value/1*1)+0. Both did not work.
And for ""Set comport speed and control" 9600 8 NOPARITY ONESTOPBIT" what speed is here recommanded? 9600 or 115200? I used 115200.

Unfortunatly I can't test the boards at the moment because I send them someone with great electronic skills for check :roll: . At the weekend I will go on.

But I got another question. I'm not sure about the wiper motor's. Does anyone have a tutorial or a ink for preparating them? All I can find are down / not available.
Is it correct what I have done to mine? :oops:

right click -> show image . will show pic in fullsize.
I cut the cord wire and soldered a wire to it. This i guide through the case. This wire is used as ground. The faster speed of the two other cables is used as positiv. Any objections or advice?

Best regards
Mirco
yokoyoko

Postby motiondave » Fri 31. Aug 2012, 11:19

And before you ask about electrical noise from the motors, heres what I posted elsewhere about your question
How quiet do you want the motors? :?
Granted I understand electrical feedback through the circuitry, but that has NEVER been an issue for any of the JRK sim builders. We use 5k pots as recommended by Pololu. I would be interested if you have found "noise" causing a problem with the jrks. No one else has.....
Myself and others have run the JRK down to 5ms response rate with a SMOOTH motion, so electrical noise is NO ISSUE.
Dont add capacitors on the motors anywhere, even that will cause an earth leakage and effectively destroy the jrks.
I found on the boat winch motors a little capacitor across the terminals to reduce noise in the car, but it had to be removed as the jrks were playing up.
If its mechanical noise, it may be the metal gears you have fitted.
Finding a "silent" motor, well good luck. Some motors make a bit of noise.
I've used wipers in the past, and some were a tad noisy, but nothing to write home about.
The big worm gears are very quiet, just a normal motor noise, but again all good.
I have heard the boat winches people use are noisy, but thats from the gearing, not the motor itself.

Otherwise, good job there....
motiondave

Postby yokoyoko » Tue 4. Sep 2012, 03:51

Hi,

the test-ligth was a good idea! Thank's!!!
I found an earth leak on the motor. Changed wiring of the wiper and the brushes once again - now everything is fine!!! Brilliant :P

But unfortunatly still got the COMport error in X-sim.

Set target in Configuration Utitlity is working perfect. Here the settings:

Here are the Comport's in device manager and settings (both the same):

X-sim:

"Use automatic adjustment" in G-Force setup works too. After driving for some corners the value changes from 2 --> 4856596 for example...

But I got also an error everytime hitting start, or if the game start's and x-sim auto-starts:

Any ideas? Perhaps teamviewer would be really a good one.

Best regards
yoko
yokoyoko

Postby motiondave » Tue 4. Sep 2012, 04:32

Righto, thanks for posting picutres.
PID setting, leave "i" as 0/3.
Try using the x-sim registry cleaner and also delete ALL comports out of x-sim, then start again.
See how you go.
Failing that...is there anyone else whom has team viewer? I don't.
motiondave

Postby yokoyoko » Tue 4. Sep 2012, 13:04

Hi,

yeah, big progress here! :D

I changed PID Period as mentioned.In x-sim I tried both - selecting Comport via dropdown menu or handwrite it (\\. \COM13). Before I everytime removed "old" comport's down on the same page - so there were no entries.

Here is the problem I think:
After that I tried to clean the registry - but my notebook hangs up doing this. "Keine Rückmeldung" = "No response" and the window (in win7) gets pale... I hope you know what I mean. The computer does not react on this.

Ok. Not good. So I de- and reinstalled x-sim on this pc. But if I reach the point on the end of installation where you are asked to clear registry of "old installations" - I check this button and hit next. How long should this take? I wait now for ~10min's. I think the pc hangs up on this again. Here the taskmanager:

The Pc-usage is during the whole 10min's at 55-65% and nothing happens.
The notebook spec's: Intel core 2Dueo T7300 (2x2,0Ghz), Geforce 8600gt, 2gb ram - don't know if they are important..

Would like to use x-sim on the two pc's - because my "main" pc specs are not so highend. Intel Core i3, amd 7770oc, 8Gb ram, samsung 830ssd -> do you think i can use extractor, converter and a game like rfactor (@ 1920x1080) all just on this pc? Then I could test if I got here the same problems - (but I would prefer the notebook for converter-part.)

For configuration G-forces: I selected "add result" just for Effect25 - for Effect27 "overwrite" (I refered to the quick manual). I will have to study on this a bit more.

Thank you all so much!!! - We are on a good way, I think... :)

Best reagrds
yoko
yokoyoko

Postby yokoyoko » Tue 4. Sep 2012, 15:07

I tried to clear registry by navigating to C:\Program Files\X-Sim\other stuff\RegistryCleaner.exe and opened it as administrator. This seems to work. The Pc is not hanging up and after that (clear all x-sim settings) all entries in x-sim are blank. (tried it several times)
Comport were also removed before.

When adding everything again and trying --> I got the same Comport error.

X-sim was installed fresh (but hanging up at the end when cleaning reg - see prev post). Than I cleaned reg the way described above.
Got a third subnotebook here (Intel atom 1,6ghz singlecore) - is this machine good enough for a x-sim test?

I wait for you now... I don't know what to try next.
Ps.: BobBuilt I added you in msn (hope that worked - never used it before, because all friends using skype here)

Best regards
yoko
yokoyoko

Postby motiondave » Wed 5. Sep 2012, 00:17

did you allow pololu program through firewall? As well as x-sim related programs as well?
motiondave

Postby yokoyoko » Wed 5. Sep 2012, 00:27

Skype is free. I use it on cellphone alot too. But msn would be also ok (i have a hotmail account - and added you in msn, did it work?)

Ok. The extractor software seems not to be very hardware hungry. Perhaps I can try another pc- if nothing other helps... but use my acer aspire would be the prefered way!

but if the Pololu Software can move you motors to a set position then X-sim is capable of doing the same.
---> that sounds good.

I got two programs:

The Pc is using Win7 with auto update.

Please again a video of Jrk software moving your motors to set positions using the computer that you want to run Extractor from.

Sorry took some time. And quality is a shame :oops: - here the video:

Hope this helps. I think Confi Utility was running during X-sim test's but will test again to be shure.

I did nothing to the firewall - after installation and first using - windows asked me to allow and I agreed. Is this enough or could be there my mistake?
The extractor Pc is getting the values of the other "game-pc" - I did think than the rest should also work?.

Best regards
yoko
yokoyoko

Next

Return to Motion simulator Finished Project Gallery