Information on CKAS T2s motion platform

Here you can ask general questions about sim building, not related to the various hardware sections

Information on CKAS T2s motion platform

Postby Roadster2 » Tue 24. Jul 2012, 23:32

From my research so far it looks like most DIY constructors using AC motors use 550W 4 pole 3 phase motors, similar to those used by CKAS on their larger T5 platform. The T5 however carries a payload of 450kg whereas the more compact T2s has a payload of 220kg. The motors on the T2s are therefore smaller, probably 375W or even 220W. The problem is that there are so many options to consider re both motor and gearbox (rpm output) that it's difficult to know exactly what to look for in trying to source suitable units.

Whilst the AC motors themselves are relatively cheap the gearboxes are not. It would therefore be ideal if I could obtain the details from the information plates on the motor and the gearbox, plus the length of the motor levers, from someone who owns, or has access to, a CKAS T2s unit. This could save a costly mistake in buying the wrong gearbox.

If it helps then I think that the motor and gearbox units that CKAS use are supplied by SEW Eurodrive. They have an office in Tullamarine, Australia, the same as CKAS Mechatronics. If I could obtain the serial number of a motor and gearbox then I should be able to get the specifications.

If anyone can help with sourcing this information then please let me know.

Thanks
Last edited by Roadster2 on Thu 26. Jul 2012, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.
Roadster2

Re: Information on CKAS T2s motion platform

Postby cthiggin » Wed 25. Jul 2012, 00:52

Roadster2,
I'm also going to start a platform like the CKAS - I'm located in the USA and I'm also having trouble sourcing motors etc. to start the unit. Like you say,
we just can't afford a costly mistake in the wrong hardware. If it's ok, lets stay in touch and see how we may help each other.
Thanks,
Tom
cthiggin
X-Sim Supporter

Postby Roadster2 » Wed 25. Jul 2012, 04:06

Hi Tom

More than happy to do that. I will send you a pm so that you have my details.

If you're looking to build a platform similar to the T5 then my research so far, thanks to a few members on the www.* forums, tells me the motors are 550W 4 pole, 71B5, 230/400/3/50 Motors Fitted to MG3/P Helical Gearbox, Lubricated for B3 Mounting. The SEW Eurodrive part number is R57 DRS71M4BE1 - assuming of course that this is the correct unit. As you're in the states bear in mind that the voltage (230/400) and the frequency (/50) are for a UK supply. Output speed of the motor is approx. 1400rpm and the output speed from the gearbox is 14rpm.

It has been mentioned that the rpm should be higher but one member mentioned that if the rpm is too high it can get a bit painful going over bumps ! I don't know what the output speed of the gearbox used on the CKAS T5 is. As the motors will need to be run via a Frequency Inverter, possibly an Omron J1000 or Mini J7, the speed can be doubled by doubling the frequency.

Of note; Thanos has designed an opto-isolator board that will allow his AMC 1.6 USB Motion Controller board to drive the Frequency Inverters.
http://motionsim.blogspot.co.uk/

If you're like me and want to build a smaller platform, similar to the T2s, then let's hope that we can source the information.
Roadster2

Postby cthiggin » Wed 25. Jul 2012, 14:40

Roadster,
I have sent you a pm.
Thanks so much.
Tom
cthiggin
X-Sim Supporter

Postby vicpopo » Mon 30. Jul 2012, 21:51

vicpopo

Postby Mertensbart20 » Sat 13. Oct 2012, 10:18

Hello everybody,

You might be interested in my project. We are building the smaller version of the CKAS-system.
Take a look here:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=335

Greetings,
Bart
Mertensbart20
X-Sim Supporter

Return to Motion simulator building Q&A