Joyrider

Running simulator build projects.
Please use the image gallery for your pictures, a short tutorial can be found here.
The first image in the first post will be shown in the project gallery.

Re: Joyrider

Postby value1 » Mon 22. Oct 2012, 00:12

motiondave wrote:with jrk disconnect, try, in utility input tab, bottom left hand corner, tick box " never sleep usb ignore suspend".
In PID, change feedback deadzone from 0 up to 2.
Give that a go, it may stop some errors.
Oh and that looks like a great ride there!
Thank you Dave for both the tips and the flowers! I'll try the settings accordingly.
Turn wrote:value1 - wow, good job on v2. Nice work.
Also thank you Turn for the flowers! I indeed like my sim very much too :)
How did you do your FE analysis?
Yes, I did the Finite Elements calculation the old-fashioned way and divided the side projection and front projection into something like 30x60 elements and calculated the weight of each element. I then calculated the centre (axis) of gravity and inertia depending on the position of the rotation axis. I didn't find a program, that I could quickly calculate these numbers without having to become an expert. I think SolidWorks could be an option but I didn't bother too much.
And those gyroscope output vs. X-Sim input graphs are extremely interesting. Are you doing that to tweak any settings (and if so, what), or just to see what's going on out of curiosity?
Both, out of curiosity ("Is the simulation really doing what I'm expecting?) and to make adjustments to the settings like intensity and hopefully learn how to trick one's mind even better.
BTW I have actually published a comparison between actual acceleration measurements and video footage of a car drive and the respective data output of rFactor on the same track. See here, 2nd post.
value1

Postby motiondave » Mon 22. Oct 2012, 00:22

what flowers?
motiondave

Postby value1 » Mon 22. Oct 2012, 00:29

Dave wrote:what flowers?
ehm… Thank you Dave for the compliment for the
Oh and that looks like a great ride there!
! ;)
And: it IS a great ride indeed!
value1

Postby Turn » Mon 22. Oct 2012, 01:33

Um, if you got flowers they weren't from me.
Turn

Postby motiondave » Mon 22. Oct 2012, 13:38

can I smoke the flowers? :lol:
motiondave

Postby vicpopo » Thu 15. Nov 2012, 18:00

Hi Value1,
Congratulations for your good and hard job.Thanks for sharing also your job!!
I have one question about the projector.Finally I agree with you for this solution , it's the cheapest solution and the the lowest for the weight.
The problem is the focal lenght.What is your projector focal for having a screen which seems to be large 2,5 meter for 1,2 m high at a projector distance from about 2 m?
Best Regards
vicpopo

Postby value1 » Thu 15. Nov 2012, 19:20

Hi vicpopo
Thank you for the compliments. I am using the Dell Projector M110.
Some remarks first:
• Because I have the simulator in my dark garage, there is no light shining onto the screen, distorting the picture. So you have to make sure that your simulator is also in a room with little light.
• While the projector has a slider for focus it has no zoom function. So you can adjust the size/diameter of the picture only via the distance of the projectors. Or in other words, if the distance of your projectors to the screen is given, the size of the projection is also fixed.
• The projector also has no picture rotation function so I had to turn them upside down, because the projection direction is a little bit upwards.

vicpopo wrote:What is your projector focal for having a screen which seems to be large 2,5 meter for 1,2 m high at a projector distance from about 2 m?
According to the datasheet the projection distance is between 0.97m and 2.58m, which is a diagonal screen size of 30 - 80 inch. At 2 m distance the projected picture size is 62" (diag.) and 137x77cm.
…it's the cheapest solution
Well, probably the cheapest, still not cheap ;) . I got the projectors with a 20%-off coupon so relatively cheap.
…and the the lowest for the weight.
Yes, fully agree, this setup certainly is one of the lightest options!
value1

Postby vicpopo » Thu 15. Nov 2012, 19:56

value1 wrote:Hi vicpopo
Thank you for the compliments. I am using the Dell Projector M110.
Some remarks first:
• Because I have the simulator in my dark garage, there is no light shining onto the screen, distorting the picture. So you have to make sure that your simulator is also in a room with little light.
• While the projector has a slider for focus it has no zoom function. So you can adjust the size/diameter of the picture only via the distance of the projectors. Or in other words, if the distance of your projectors to the screen is given, the size of the projection is also fixed.
• The projector also has no picture rotation function so I had to turn them upside down, because the projection direction is a little bit upwards.

vicpopo wrote:What is your projector focal for having a screen which seems to be large 2,5 meter for 1,2 m high at a projector distance from about 2 m?
According to the datasheet the projection distance is between 0.97m and 2.58m, which is a diagonal screen size of 30 - 80 inch. At 2 m distance the projected picture size is 62" (diag.) and 137x77cm.
…it's the cheapest solution
Well, probably the cheapest, still not cheap ;) . I got the projectors with a 20%-off coupon so relatively cheap.
…and the the lowest for the weight.
Yes, fully agree, this setup certainly is one of the lightest options!

Hi Value1,

Thanks for tour answer...

I forgotten one big advantage with projector that is the graphic card for the pc ,just one and no need to be very expensive!
(Ok for a projector full HD and 3d it's not cheap, but triple srceen with 3D also very expensive also!! :lol: )

In fact you can find a cheap solution for a projector.You can find a cheap projector on ebay and after you can mod a projector for changing the light which often is outdated and very expensive.The modding consists to change the light with a light which is less expensive and which can work many many hours .It's sometimes a car light type xenon.For guy who builds a simulator it's not a mountain to climb!! :lol:
Use google and type projector modding and you will find some mad guy's like us who make this! :roll:
I made a DIY projector and I'm very happy with.
It has 2 disadvantages :
-too heavy for using in your case
-the room must be completly dark
But it has 2 big advantages :
- light costs 10 times less than a normal light (hqi 50€)
-the light can work more than 10 000 hours (5 times more than a normal light)
You can look at a french site : http://www.allinbox.com

Best Regards
vicpopo

Postby Mononeurone » Fri 12. Apr 2013, 10:38

Hi,
Your simulator looks great.
If i have understand, you're using winchs instead of wipers. Is that right ? Is the difference is significant ?
Could you tell me what kind of electrical stuff you use for your winchs ?
I'm a beginner but i saw you're using a 12V supply. Do you almost have a computer power supply too for electronical part ?
You're using an AMC motor controller (1.6 ?). Isn't be easier to use Sabertooth 2X12V + Velleman VM110 (K8055) ?

Thanks for your answer.
Mononeurone

Postby motiondave » Fri 12. Apr 2013, 12:32

Mononeurone wrote:Hi,
Your simulator looks great.
If i have understand, you're using winchs instead of wipers. Is that right ? Is the difference is significant ?
Could you tell me what kind of electrical stuff you use for your winchs ?
I'm a beginner but i saw you're using a 12V supply. Do you almost have a computer power supply too for electronical part ?
You're using an AMC motor controller (1.6 ?). Isn't be easier to use Sabertooth 2X12V + Velleman VM110 (K8055) ?

Thanks for your answer.

He uses Pololu JRKS for all in one h-bridge and control board, one per motor.
Winch motors are WAAAAAAAYYYYYYY more powerful than wipers. Winches will lift 250kg easy, wipers will not.
Not sure about power supply, a car battery with charger will do, however a modded PC power supply and or proper bench top PSU in parallel with battery is ideal.
Sorry to hijack a bit value1 ;)
motiondave

PreviousNext

Return to Motion simulator Projects in progress