High angle & Displacement 6DOF

Running simulator build projects.
Please use the image gallery for your pictures, a short tutorial can be found here.
The first image in the first post will be shown in the project gallery.

Re: High angle & Displacement 6DOF

Postby DoctorD » Sat 20. Sep 2014, 11:25

The machinist just sent me some photos of my stainless torque arms.
People might think it's a bit nerdy, but I think they look awesome. I can't wait to see them fully polished and on the gearboxes when they arrive.

...and here's a quick pic of the frame pieces assembled in the jig. A few 20mm drill holes to go and I'm ready for welding tomorrow.
Last edited by DoctorD on Sat 20. Sep 2014, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
DoctorD

Postby Riton » Sat 20. Sep 2014, 12:18

very cool !
Riton
X-Sim Supporter

Postby DoctorD » Sun 21. Sep 2014, 14:21

Wow, I think I really underestimated how much effort it would take to get through all of those 20mm holes. It ended up being 24 holes in total. Each one 20mm diameter into 3mm of toughened steel. There goes Sunday :)

...but worth it
DoctorD

Postby tronicgr » Tue 23. Sep 2014, 22:02

DoctorD wrote:The machinist just sent me some photos of my stainless torque arms.
People might think it's a bit nerdy, but I think they look awesome. I can't wait to see them fully polished and on the gearboxes when they arrive.
TorqueArmsMade.jpg

TorqueArmsinBox.jpg

...and here's a quick pic of the frame pieces assembled in the jig. A few 20mm drill holes to go and I'm ready for welding tomorrow.
FrameinJig.JPG

Hey Doctor,

Where did you get these? I think Trip want some help with the source maybe?

http://motionsim.freeforums.net/thread/35/6dof-hexapod-using-parts-familiar

Thanks
Thanos
tronicgr

Postby DoctorD » Wed 24. Sep 2014, 03:09

Hi Thanos (and all of you good people),

For everyone out there, the best (most reliable, honest, affordable and timeliest) merchant I have found from Alibiba/Aliexpress for doing customised machining is a happy chap called Robin Yang (robinyang89@gmail.com). His machining is excellent (standard request is +/- 0.03mm accuracy) and he is honest with supply, finishes, timeframes and pricing.
If you need anything done, you'll need to provide him with an IGS file of the part/s you need made. If you're not that way inclined (3D modelling), I can help you out with the required 3D drafting. Just send me a message with a 2D sketch of the part/s and I will do my best to help out.

Hope this helps,
DoctorD
DoctorD

Postby tronicgr » Wed 24. Sep 2014, 03:25

Thanks for the info. :)

Is the shaft diameter for regular 54C gearboxes shafts?

BTW, your board and sensors was shipped yesterday morning. I didn't get the change to inform all people yet, but all August orders were shipped.
tronicgr

Postby DoctorD » Wed 24. Sep 2014, 03:51

The output shaft of the gearboxes is 35mm. Input shaft to match 56C (ID = 0.625 inch)
Gearbox body is RV90 size
DoctorD

Postby Riton » Wed 24. Sep 2014, 09:09

DoctorD wrote:Hi Thanos (and all of you good people),

For everyone out there, the best (most reliable, honest, affordable and timeliest) merchant I have found from Alibiba/Aliexpress for doing customised machining is a happy chap called Robin Yang (robinyang89@gmail.com). His machining is excellent (standard request is +/- 0.03mm accuracy) and he is honest with supply, finishes, timeframes and pricing.
If you need anything done, you'll need to provide him with an IGS file of the part/s you need made. If you're not that way inclined (3D modelling), I can help you out with the required 3D drafting. Just send me a message with a 2D sketch of the part/s and I will do my best to help out.

Hope this helps,
DoctorD

Thanks!!
have you the name company in Alibiba/Aliexpress
Riton
X-Sim Supporter

Postby TripRodriguez » Wed 24. Sep 2014, 09:20

Thanks for sending me over to this thread TronicGR!

DoctorD, thanks for posting this info. Can you give me an idea of what these parts cost you to be made (PM if you don't want to post it)? Shipping cost to the US might be an issue.

I don't do 3D drawing but mine would be exactly the same as yours except for the sizes of the holes and shaft opening. If the price is within what I can do I'll be ordering these right away. I don't much care what the material is or looks like, whatever is cheapest and strong enough to do the job.

The holes for the actuator rod pivots for me have to be 5/8 inch (15.875 mm). My output shafts are 1.125 inches (28.575 mm).

If you could provide me with the 3D drawing of your parts with just those hole dimensions changed I'd be very grateful, even if I have to find a US machinist having the drawings would be a great help!

PS- I too have Rift DK2 (and DK1 as well).
TripRodriguez

Postby DoctorD » Wed 24. Sep 2014, 10:02

Super happy to help.
Please let me know what payload you intend for the platform. Also, what moment arm length/s would you like to incorporate into the torque arms (i.e. The spacing between input and output holes in the torque arm).
Another thing that will help determine these dimensions will be motor power and gear ratio. Please advise and I will make a few suggestions :)
Cheers,
Dr D

P.S. The shipping rate was excellent. I really think you would be hard pressed to beat the total price with local manufacturers
DoctorD

PreviousNext

Return to Motion simulator Projects in progress