Floriske.nl's 2DOF Playseat GT Wiper motor Project

Running simulator build projects.
Please use the image gallery for your pictures, a short tutorial can be found here.
The first image in the first post will be shown in the project gallery.

Re: Floriske.nl's 2DOF Playseat GT Wiper motor Project

Postby floriske » Mon 10. Sep 2012, 11:52

I've simply cut the wood (18mm birch plywood) with a hacksaw and did the rounded edges with a roundover bit in my (handheld) router.

128 129

The painting is Warnex, which is special structure paint mainly used for PA Speakers.

It requires no base coat (only one coat with a standard paint roller and a second one with a structure paint roller) and gives a very nice result.

I am no longer an admin/active moderator at http://www.x-sim.de. Please contact one of the other admins or moderators if you have any questions. Thank you!

My sim-project: Floriske.nl's 2DOF Playseat GT Wiper motor Project (sold)
floriske

Postby spartan300 » Mon 1. Oct 2012, 11:40

Hi floriske,
I have the same motors and i dont know what power supply to buy?
Did you checked your new puwer supplys 12v 600watt?
if they work i will do the same too.
Thank you ,
Loukas
spartan300
X-Sim Stage 2 edition

Postby floriske » Mon 1. Oct 2012, 12:21

Hi loukas,

At first I had 2x 30A power supplies, but one of them died (not sure if this was due to my load or maybe the psu being faulty)

Now I'm using these: http://www.ebay.nl/itm/12V-45A-600W-Swi ... 5ae92a13a5

And so far I have had no problems with them. The fans are VERY loud though, so I am going to remove them and add 120mm fans for cooling.
I am no longer an admin/active moderator at http://www.x-sim.de. Please contact one of the other admins or moderators if you have any questions. Thank you!

floriske

Postby motiondave » Mon 1. Oct 2012, 14:56

turn the volume up higher on speakers or headphones
motiondave

Postby floriske » Mon 1. Oct 2012, 15:46

motiondave wrote:turn the volume up higher on speakers or headphones

Lol, easys does it ;) ....... but no, I've got some spare fans lying around so why not use them.

floriske

Postby Roadster2 » Mon 1. Oct 2012, 16:37

floriske wrote:The fans are VERY loud though, so I am going to remove them and add 120mm fans for cooling.

It depends on the power supply but you probably wont be able to do this. The circuitry will likely include monitoring of the fan i.e. if the fan stops the power supply immediately shuts down. You could test for this by inserting a plastic cable tie or similar through the vents to prevent the fan blades from turning, then switch on the power supply and if it quickly shuts down then it is monitored.

The faster the fan runs the more noise it makes and if it runs at a constant speed, as it probably does, then it supplies enough cooling for when the power supply is providing maximum current. If you're not going to use the maximum output then you could add an inline 5V regulator to drop the 12V fan supply to 5V. All being well this will be enough for the monitoring not to cut in.

I have purchased an inexpensive power supply from a Dell server and this will supply 12V at 175A. It has 1 x 92mm fan and 2 x 60mm fans, all of which are very noisy so I need to do something similar. The four motors will draw a maximum of 120A and then only when they're all running at maximum, so I will be drawing quite a bit less than the maximum 175A.
Roadster2

Postby floriske » Mon 1. Oct 2012, 16:43

No worries, I've got quite some experience with system- and silent cooling so this shouldn't be a problem at all.

All my fans have rpm wires so it should be no problem to swap them if they turn out to be rpm monitored.

Next to that, since the fans run full speed constantly, I reckon rpm is monitored only to check if the fan is running so rpm differences should be no problem.

Regarding you PSU's: 12V 175A :?: that's a whopping 2100Watts, are you sure those numbers are correct?

floriske

Postby Roadster2 » Mon 1. Oct 2012, 17:54

floriske wrote:All my fans have rpm wires so it should be no problem to swap them if they turn out to be rpm monitored.

Should be Ok but the fan may have a Tacho wire so the monitoring circuit may be detecting a minimum speed rather than just 'yes it's turning'.

floriske wrote:Regarding you PSU's: 12V 175A :?: that's a whopping 2100Watts, are you sure those numbers are correct?

2100W - yes indeed :) This was £54 on eBay with free delivery. The power supply is an 0MJ048 MJ048 from a Dell PowerEdge 1855 Server. It's designed to be a slide-in hotswap power supply rather than a stand alone psu so it does need some of the pins shorted. There is info available on the web for this, with photo's, and the site I use has info on many other server power supplies. They're often used by radio control model enthusiasts, for fast charging multiple battery packs.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20789737&postcount=1224

Mind you, it does need quietening as when running it sounds like a Boing 747 just about to take off !!!
Roadster2

Postby kubing » Tue 2. Oct 2012, 03:48

nice job bro. i think this is how its look when leonardo da vinci fall in love with motion sim. You are very good photographer too.
Pasir Mas
Kelantan Darul Naim,
West Malaysia

http://simf1.blogspot.com
kubing

Postby motiondave » Tue 2. Oct 2012, 14:49

2100w power supply...never too much power!
motiondave

PreviousNext

Return to Motion simulator Projects in progress