Floriske's 2DOF Playseat DC motor Project (Sold)

Finished projects, you can't start topics here and have to request a topic in the "administrator" section first.
Please use the image gallery for your pictures, a short tutorial can be found here.
The first image in the first post will be shown in the project gallery.

Re: Floriske.nl's 2DOF Playseat GT DC motor Project

Postby motiondave » Mon 14. Jan 2013, 23:19

The JRK reacts faster than k8055.
motiondave

Re: Floriske.nl's 2DOF Playseat GT DC motor Project

Postby floriske » Tue 15. Jan 2013, 09:49

I was (sim is sold) running them at 30A max so I don't think the sabertooth will suply enough power.

25:1 is just fine for these motors, but 50:1 would definately be better, this would still result in about double the torque and still 100rpm which is more than fast enough.
I am no longer an admin/active moderator at http://www.x-sim.de. Please contact one of the other admins or moderators if you have any questions. Thank you!

My sim-project: Floriske.nl's 2DOF Playseat GT Wiper motor Project (sold)
floriske

Re: Floriske's 2DOF Playseat DC motor Project (Sold)

Postby Erwan960 » Tue 15. Jan 2013, 11:08

So the best solution seems to be Pololu JRK 12V12 (x2) with ZYT90-155-12 DC Motor (x2) and 50:1 MCP 4 Gearbox (x2) whereas the k8055 and sabertooth are fine for wiper motors.

Thanks for all this valuable informations !
Erwan960

Postby sirnoname » Tue 15. Jan 2013, 11:33

K8055 are ONLY for pneumatic and hydraulik, they are not really usable for electric motors!
If a answer is correct or did help you for a solution, please use the solve button.
sirnoname
Site Admin

Postby CorvairNut » Sun 17. Mar 2013, 22:56

Thank you for this fantastic post. I'm looking for a setup to base my own first build on and this is currently the front runner. Nice and neat/good looking, and very simple.

I would like to request some additional info as well. Can you provide some data on things not really discussed in your post such as the source and specs of the springs and pots? Also info on how to build the linkages and especially how to figure out the dimensions for the pot arms?

The link to your replacement power supplies is dead, can you provide some specs and maybe even a specific brand/model?

Thanks!

Ray R.
CorvairNut

Postby motiondave » Sun 17. Mar 2013, 23:48

CorvairNut wrote:Thank you for this fantastic post. I'm looking for a setup to base my own first build on and this is currently the front runner. Nice and neat/good looking, and very simple.

I would like to request some additional info as well. Can you provide some data on things not really discussed in your post such as the source and specs of the springs and pots? Also info on how to build the linkages and especially how to figure out the dimensions for the pot arms?

The link to your replacement power supplies is dead, can you provide some specs and maybe even a specific brand/model?

Thanks!

Ray R.

I will add one thing here. Balance the frame properly. Springs do not help the balance.
motiondave

Postby ferslash » Wed 20. Mar 2013, 09:17

Floriske:

How did you applyed the speaker paint into the wood? with a brush, an air spray gun? how

best regards

fer
ferslash

Postby floriske » Thu 21. Mar 2013, 17:32

@corvairnut: thanks for the compliments!

• For the springs just search for "adjustable trunk lid spring" on ebay.
• The pots are standard 10K linear pots
• I have no drawings or details on the linkages, I designed them on the fly, and since the sim is sold I can't do measurements for you.
• Same goes for the levers, I designed those on the fly as well and just hoped they'd function like they should ;)
• The power supplies where "600W 12V switching power supplies" from ebay. No brand or type available.

@motiondave: you are absolutely right, a well balance frame/base is everything! Springs just help reduce the motor load a bit when the platform is tilted and thus off balance.

@ferslash: the first coat is applied with a normal paint roller, the second coat with a texture foam paint roller.
I am no longer an admin/active moderator at http://www.x-sim.de. Please contact one of the other admins or moderators if you have any questions. Thank you!

floriske

Postby motiondave » Thu 21. Mar 2013, 23:48

The springs slow the motor frame.
get the balance right and dont make the pivot height too tall. Less than 400mm overall height is sufficient. any higher and the motors will start to slow from struggle, not load.
You do not need springs.
motiondave

Postby floriske » Fri 22. Mar 2013, 21:16

I hoped not having to start this discussion yet again ;) but springs do help on a platform that does have a pivot point lower than its center of gravity.

Platform with driver must be balanced in horizontal position and it must be 4 springs with the same tension though, one on each "corner" instead of just 2 on the opposite side of the motors.

Too much load on a motor when the platform is tilted is what slows down a motors direction change. Springs reduce this load and help the motors move more accurate.

My tests with different spring tensions proved this!

No tension = slow change in directions but good movement
Correct tension = much faster direction change and better movement
Too much tension = fast direction change but slow movement.

NOFI! Just my findings.

floriske

PreviousNext

Return to Motion simulator Finished Project Gallery