Thanos AMC1.6 USB 2DOF Motion Controller

AMC, H-Bridge projects etc.
Please use the image gallery for your pictures, a short tutorial can be found here.
The first image in the first post will be shown in the project gallery.

Re: Thanos AMC1.6 USB Motion Controller

Postby tronicgr » Thu 30. Aug 2012, 20:21

flagoss wrote:Hi Thanos thanks for your good work !! Its very helpfull.
I just wanted to say that it would be very cool if you could do a post about the moter drivers. Just put a quick comparaison of each solution.
Right now I am hesitant between building your Dual Mosfet H-Bridge by TronicGr or buying a drivers. What would a palulu drivers be do thatthe one you design or the chez dual one on ebay coulnt do ? I am using Wiper Motors !

I cannot advice you on what you need to use. I just present here the solutions that are available. It depends on the motor type and the power supply you want to use and most important on the budget you have. In the end you get what you pay for.

So in answering your question of what is the difference between Pololu 18v25 motor driver and the DBK-HT Dual motor driver:

I run out of space in my camera so here is what I would like to add:
Maybe its just the higher PWM frequency I use (21.6Khz) that causes this behavior, I have yet to try with 10-bit resolution (10.8Khz PWM) to see if there is difference. Or maybe something is not correct on the board as in the manual it says to be careful placing correct offset between the current sensor and the slew rate resistor. I have no way verifying this as I have no schematic of the board. Also in the manual it states that a 470nF ceramic capacitor from VS to GND close to each device is recommended to provide current for the switching phase via a low inductance path and therefore reducing noise and ground bounce. I believe this capacitor is missing. Apart from that if I place this capacitor externally on the motor leads It seems to make it work as it should, but in RC filtering mode.

All in all, its a cheap solution for use with car wiper motors for simple simulator cockpits.

Thanos
tronicgr

Postby tronicgr » Thu 30. Aug 2012, 20:28

fooons wrote:Hi Thanos,

Today a friend ask me for repair his H-bridge (DSMhb1_2b) but it is in a really bad state, so I decided give mine and start a new board.

I tell you that because I have seen that you are working on a new simple hbridge that I would like to test. Now, I think I have all parts to start the construction. Is ready for testing or better I make a new DSMhb1_2b board?

This h-bridge is not tested yet. I'm still waiting for the PCB's (thanks to Gilles from France).

Thanos
tronicgr

Postby Roadster2 » Thu 30. Aug 2012, 20:59

Hi Thanos. Don't know if it's just here but the last video stops at 57 seconds and wont continue. This is the same with three different web browsers.
Roadster2

Postby tronicgr » Thu 30. Aug 2012, 21:14

Roadster2 wrote:Hi Thanos. Don't know if it's just here but the last video stops at 57 seconds and wont continue. This is the same with three different web browsers.

Its fine here. I'm using google chrome and just tested it on internet explorer. Maybe you need to update your flash player version...
tronicgr

Postby tronicgr » Thu 30. Aug 2012, 21:42

Hi again,

Since I had my equipment ready I took another video of the HMD-02 motor driver. You can see clearly it jumps to full speed at certain PWM percentage and misfires on one direction at full speed, with or without filtering on the motor.

Thanos
tronicgr

Postby sirnoname » Fri 31. Aug 2012, 08:45

Jumping to full speed looks like the input is detected as (low or) high and the PWM signal is not recognized.
May it help to add a 10kOhm pullup to all of the signal lines at the bridge?
If a answer is correct or did help you for a solution, please use the solve button.
sirnoname
Site Admin

Postby tronicgr » Sat 1. Sep 2012, 20:11

This HMD-02 motor driver has already built in pull-ups on its PWM inputs. And pull-down on its direction inputs. This is no issue from signal noise. The AMC1.6 signal is crystal clear and the better build Pololu 18v25 proves it. And I know there is pull-up there because if I use only the direction inputs I get full speed on each direction (still in jumpy misfire motion on my servo motor).

Anyway, I give it a shot with less frequency PWM (at 10.8Khz) and seen no difference, so must be something wrong with my HMD-02 module.

See in the next video how it does with car wiper motor. This motor is un-modified so it must have filtering caps built-in.

Thanos
tronicgr

Postby tronicgr » Sat 1. Sep 2012, 22:03

Today I received from Gilles (France) the two-layer boards of AMC1.6, Optolink and SMh-bridge2.2 I mentioned in older posts. I'll try to have them ready soon to test them all and try to make a little assembly guide for them as I do it. I hope I have enough parts left for all this.

The new AMC1.6 board is a little smaller, more compact connector for the PWM and directions, less wasted space.

I made the power tracks as large as I could for the SMhb2.2. See it next to the old DSMhb1.2. These thick tracks are rated 14A and even more if they get reinforced with extra solder.

Thanos
tronicgr

Postby vicpopo » Sat 1. Sep 2012, 23:24

tronicgr wrote:Hi again,

Since I had my equipment ready I took another video of the HMD-02 motor driver.

Thanos

Hi Thanos,

I burned my 2 hmd-02 with my big worm motor!! :oops:
I will confirm to all x-simer that this simple h-bridge is not suitable for bigworm motors!!
I get no problem with wiper motors although you didn't validate it.
Happy that you've got the PCB. :D

Best Regards
vicpopo

Postby motiondave » Sun 2. Sep 2012, 01:04

Well done on the pcb :D
Thats some groovy tracks there!
motiondave

PreviousNext

Return to Controllers and Drivers Projects