2DOF WiperSim+Pololu problem(solved)+traction loss

Running simulator build projects.
Please use the image gallery for your pictures, a short tutorial can be found here.
The first image in the first post will be shown in the project gallery.

Re: 2DOF WiperSim+Pololu problem(solved)+traction loss

Postby yokoyoko » Sat 9. Feb 2013, 00:35

Some changes on the rig and a new video after my full recovery:

Hope you didn't fall asleep during watching >1min slowmotions :lol:
Car change at 5:30mins.
yokoyoko

Postby dearn » Mon 11. Feb 2013, 00:49

Nice setup with that 3 screens :D

The traction loss system is working well isn't it?
http://www.ArcadeWinkel.nl | Arcade spare parts and kits
dearn
X-Sim Stage 2 edition

Postby vicpopo » Mon 11. Feb 2013, 01:21

Hi yokoyoko ,

Very impressive. Which game( rfactor , iracing?) ? Could give your pc configuration. I 'm tired using my old xw 600 hp workstation , the latency makes me crazy...
vicpopo

Postby Riton » Mon 11. Feb 2013, 01:46

:shock: very, very good !
Riton
X-Sim Supporter

Postby shannonb1 » Mon 11. Feb 2013, 03:14

Sounds like you may be banging when you go to drift, you may want to put in some dampers to absorb or you might get to the point where something is going to give.
shannonb1
X-Sim Stage 2 edition

Postby yokoyoko » Mon 11. Feb 2013, 16:44

Nice setup with that 3 screens :D

The traction loss system is working well isn't it?
Thx dearn. In the past I used the same sreen setup with additional fresnel lenses - I now decided to go without the lenses. It was really hard to use them in a motion sim after a while. First I tought they are a really great opportunity for large screen size for the budget at a "ok" priece now I think they are just good for sim rig's without motion and a "static" point of view. Now my screens are ~550mm away from my eyes and with an FOV in rfactor of 32° this fits pretty good. AND I can hit the apex of corners much better now. Interesting read on fov: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/93-Setting-up-your-rFactor-FOV-Tutorial ... Iracing is a lot easier to use in this point with it's own fov calculator (they use vertical fov instead of rfactor horizontal fov).

The traction loss is really working well! In the past this was (for immersion) the best update on my rig. But as shannonb1 noticed
Sounds like you may be banging when you go to drift, you may want to put in some dampers to absorb or you might get to the point where something is going to give.
there is room for improvement in the video!
The banging you hear comes of my harness as I am not strapped into the seat and it is just hanging around. Atm I am using much higher maximum values in the math setup than before (in the video) for the most rfactor mods I notice a loose of rear traction @ about 6000000. In the video you can see a good example of "oershooting" because of using a too small maximum value of a effect :lol: But in some cases that may not feel as wrong as it sounds - I will have to do a bit of testing at this point - the new x-sim version has alot of cool features that can help here too.
You are correct dampers would be a good idea. I thought the same and am working on a damping solution for all actuators (not just the traction loss) since friday... unfort. nothing to show yet.

Which game( rfactor , iracing?) ? Could give your pc configuration. I 'm tired using my old xw 600 hp workstation , the latency makes me crazy...
Hi vicpopo. The game - hehe :lol: is my new game of the games favorite :D. It is called "Game Stock Car 2012". Weird titel for us euros but in brasil they call their touring cars = stock cars. The game is based on IsI's rafctor1 (I use the rfactor plugin in extractor aswell). But team reiza has a really talented group and especially the physiks guy (niels heusinkveld) does the magic!!! You must try to believe. They adapted the realfeel plgin for rfactor really good! Out of the box with my shabby G25 a nice reallistic ride! They include V8 touring cars, Classic And modern F1, outstanding good F3 cars, mini cooper 210ps and a pontiac whatever... It costs 15€ and I would buy again ;)
Just make sure for the touring cars I use 540° @ wheel and 22° steering lock in game. Also in game I set brake pressure to 100% with my 60kg load cell. In game set "head movement" to 0! Adjust your fov and have fun. Ps.: fun! at racedepartment you can download the mighty Nürburgring of COM8 for this game aswell...

My pc config is :
Extractor pc: Gigabyte h55m board ; Intel coreI3 530 CPU ; hd 7770 graphic card ; 128gb ssd ; 1tb data hdd ; 8gb ddr3 ram ; win7 64 bit --> I can't play all games at full /high /max because of I want to be my fps >120 if possible. Atm I would go for a CoreI5 3570k and a hd 79?? if I would have the money :x

Convertor Notebook via LAN:
Use a Cat-wire no wireless if usinga second pc.
Dell notebook with coreI5; 4gb ram; onboard graphic; external usb soundcard for bass shaker; win7 64bit

I tested the latency with the camera filming in 220fps mode. After that I did a playback with Kinovea at 3% of speed. You will get every 0,0045sec a picture. Video on that will come...

very, very good !
thx Riton for your kind comment! :oops:

Best regards
yokoyoko
yokoyoko

Postby vicpopo » Mon 11. Feb 2013, 22:56

Hi yokoyoko,

Thanks for all infos, very usefull . My further simulator will have un axis for simulating the traction - loss.
It will be a 3 dof + this axis for traction - loss ;)
vicpopo

Postby motiondave » Mon 11. Feb 2013, 23:47

nice job dude, moves well
motiondave

Postby shannonb1 » Tue 12. Feb 2013, 01:53

and yes very nice, didnt say that in my earlier post. Im trying to work this out for myself as well. Might need to start over based on how my rig is platformed right now.

great work
shannonb1
X-Sim Stage 2 edition

Postby yokoyoko » Tue 12. Feb 2013, 15:58

Im trying to work this out for myself as well. Might need to start over based on how my rig is platformed right now.

I don't know your design unfortunately. It depends on the weight of the platform + additional parts. You could build an level under the excisting sim.

I were able to find the most parts @ a acceptable priece.
- 20€ for the wheelbearing (used)
- ~80€ for the frame
- 35€ "bearing" in the back (price depending on your and sim's wheight)
- 50€ "Plate in back" (these plastic guys are crazy :o ) - searching for a alternative
- 80€ Jrk or whatever
- 5€ Wiper (used) or ...
- 10€ connecting rod
- power supply (car batterie so far)

You can safe money on the frame cost's - but I wanted to use the same aluminium as for the rest of the sim. The bearings I use in the back fit perfectly in these aluminium grooves. They cost 3,50€ each and can carry ~10kg. First I used 10 of them but since my monitors are a dynamic part of the "upper level" I use 14. You can use other parts instead but I found nothing cheaper with "ok" quality - in exchange I found many high quality solutions that were
invaluable.
The Pa6G plastic plate I use is oversized in thickness definitely (10mm). I still believe this plastic plate is a good idea to "save" the bearings (good pairing materials) but 2mm thickness with a fitting underground should be enough and much cheaper.

I now move the traction loss in a range of ~20cm to each side (due to the higher mass with the monitors). I can move much more by adjusting the lever arm to the front bearing but I still use the wiper motors in the sim and would recommend something stronger at the same speed level for doing larger ranges (the zyt90 motor with 50:1 reduction gearbox would be a good example).

In my opinion the "front bearing location" is important for immersion too. I favour some cm in front of the pedals (like in a real car) :D

Best regards
yokoyoko
yokoyoko

PreviousNext

Return to Motion simulator Projects in progress