G-seat for flight sims

Running simulator build projects.
Please use the image gallery for your pictures, a short tutorial can be found here.
The first image in the first post will be shown in the project gallery.

G-seat for flight sims

Postby Bergison » Mon 9. Dec 2013, 21:11

Hi everybody!

I am trying to build myself a G-seat for my flight-simulator pit:

The goal is to have two moving flaps under the seat (G-load), two in the back (G-load and forward accelleration), as well as a seat-belt tensioning device for the shoulder harness (decelleration) and for the waist strap (negative G-force).

After much appreciated help and hints from vicpopo, yokoyoko and RacingMat in the "new users" forum [http://x-sim.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1267], I have now gathered all needed parts and moved the thread over here.
Last edited by Bergison on Fri 13. Dec 2013, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.
Bergison

Re: G-seat for flight sims

Postby vicpopo » Mon 9. Dec 2013, 21:19

Hi Bergison,

Good luck in your new further big adventure . I will stay tuned to your topic !! ;)
vicpopo

Postby Bergison » Mon 9. Dec 2013, 21:44

I've spent the (surprisingly little) time waiting for all parts to arrive (from China, the US, Germany and Austria) with installing the x-sim software and trying to understand a bit of the x-pid arduino firmware. These are the parts I want to use:

ARDUINO UNO (1 for each pair of motors)

50A Dual-Channel motor drive (1 for each pair of motors):
http://www.elechouse.com/elechouse/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=100_146&products_id=2179

40A POWER SUPPLY (one of these for each pair of motors):
http://r.ebay.com/zPzf45

4 x 12V WIPER MOTORS

I then built a test setup for my equipment and gave it a first run today!

I was really surprised, when it actually started to turn! I kind of expected it do do nothing at all, regarding my zero knowledge and experience with x-sim, arduinos, and electronic motor controlling! But it actually worked!! :P

However, after inserting a few values in the x-sim > converter > interface settings > test field and watching the motor react accordingly, it suddenly stopped and refused to move any further. :?

I didn't find out the reason yet, but I think it might have to do with the power supply. It gives a strange "click-click-click" sound after the motor stops. And if I wait for some minutes, the motor is turning again. But just for another one or two inputs. Does anybody have an idea what the problem could be?
Bergison

Postby RacingMat » Wed 11. Dec 2013, 22:42

What you described might be a short-circuit: a wire may touch the supply's enclosure for example -> the supply internal circuit heats and cut
a moment later, once cooled down, it start again
;-)
Mat
2 DOF playseat : arduino, motomonster, 12V truck wiper motors
http://www.x-sim.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=943
RacingMat
X-Sim Stage 2 edition

Postby Bergison » Fri 13. Dec 2013, 13:26

I've found the problem! It was a faulty pot in combination with a wrong implementation of sirnonames arduino firmware.
I tried to rewrite it, so I could use my motor controller as an arduino shield, but that didn't work out. I unplugged it from the arduino and just wired it to the original pins. I replaced the pot too and now IT WORKS!!! Yeah! :D At least with my test setup. The motor is moving to the exact pot position, back and forth without smoke or sparks and the light in our house is still on too ...

Now, before starting to build the mechanics for the seat, I'm going to try to configure the converter to use actual game data and send it to the test rig.
Bergison

Postby RacingMat » Thu 26. Dec 2013, 11:55

Hi Bergison!
What's new? Can you share some vids? :-)
Your Gseat project is interesting!
RacingMat
X-Sim Stage 2 edition

Postby Bergison » Thu 26. Dec 2013, 22:22

Hi RacingMat!

Thanks for your interest in my project. Didn't have much time since my last post (both kids sick and a lot of other work), but I made some progress:

1) Managed to export telemetry data from DCS World A-10C and made the motor on the test rig move according to the G force in the sim! (= Big personal success for me! :) )
2) Finally figured out how the mechanics behind the flaps / seat belt tensioners are going to work! I want to make some CAD drawings of it to share the idea, but am still wrestling with the program.
3) Dismantled my once proud fighter seat to accomodate the flaps, belts and all the new hardware:

The next step will be to build the first set of the actual motor/flap assembly and give it a test. I'll let you guys know how it worked out!
Bergison

Postby Bergison » Sun 12. Jan 2014, 13:36

Hi everybody!

I am happy to announce some recent progress in my project! I've finished building the first of the four mechanical units for my G-seat. These units are driving the flaps and as well act as the belt tensioning devices (the belt will be mounted on the wooden barrel visible to the right of the motor).

I gave it a first test run with DCS A-10 and: ALL WORKS WELL! Unbelievable! :D

Test run: ............... mid position: ......... full up: .................. full down:

The next step will be building a mirror-inverted unit for the opposite flap.
Still a lot of work, but since the first unit works so well, I am confident I can actually succeed in building this!
Bergison

Postby RacingMat » Tue 14. Jan 2014, 12:41

Great !

Have you tested your current consumption under load ?
I'm wondering if your (cheap :-) ) Hbridge keeps fine ? (you probably need a radiator and a fan)
RacingMat
X-Sim Stage 2 edition

Postby Bergison » Wed 15. Jan 2014, 14:42

Hi RacingMat,

I've not tested the power consumption, but the 20A circuit breakers of the motors didn't pop so far.
In the meantime, I've also connected the seat harness to the tensioner and it works as well! Gave it a 30 min test ride - it's already a great experience without even all the parts it will have in the end. And the H-bridge got only a bit warm, but I'm going to install a fan too hust to make sure.
Bergison

Next

Return to Motion simulator Projects in progress